Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Closing The Ohio Theater



I have been hearing the buzz for a few days that the Ohio Theater may be closing down.  Sadly, it is true.

You can read about it in this Village Voice article

I am stunned and saddened.  I have seen many theater spaces come and go in the city, and each closing is saddening.  But none more so than the Ohio.

Perhaps it is because of my many fond memories there.  I have been seeing shows at the Ohio for years, but I finally got a chance to work there in 2006 during the Havel Festival.  I couldn't have asked for a better experience - not a more enjoyable place to work, not people who were more pleasant to work with.  Robert Lyons (seen above with Havel and me in the theater and below with Havel right outside the theater) of Soho Think Tank not only hosted us but also produced/directed a show in the festival.  In all respects, he and Vanessa Sparling, who also works with Soho Think Tank, made our experience a great one.  I feel only warmth when I think of our five weeks there. 

The last thing I saw there, Chekhov Lizardbrain, was once again a triumph of downtown theater.  The theater was full and Vanessa jokingly told me of people who had offered her hundred dollar bills for a seat.  There were none to be had.

When I entered the theater, I felt a warmth and nostalgia.  God I miss this theater, I thought.  I like other theaters, but this one is special.  I must do something here again soon.

Sadly, it seems as if that might be impossible.

No comments: